Let’s talk Bee and Wasp stings
Typically, through early spring and into late autumn, wasps and bees are a common sight and our pets can be at risk of being stung. Normally one sting is likely to be painful, but generally not life threatening. If an insect becomes stuck in your pet’s mouth or throat, or if several stings happen, symptoms can become more severe.
What are the symptoms of a sting?
Stings contain a cocktail of toxins and can in some cases cause an anaphylactic reaction. If this happens it is normally very quick.
Depending on the location of the sting, more common symptoms could include limping, chewing or licking at the area, pawing their face, lip smacking, drooling, retching, panting, whining and vocalising. More serious symptoms could include, pale gums, collapse, wheezing, vomiting, swelling and difficulty breathing.
What should you do if your pet gets stung?
If your pet is stung you can sometimes see the stinger left behind – this will usually look like a yellowish blob sticking out of the skin. It is recommended to use something flat like a credit card to hook under the venom sac, and not to use your fingers or tweezers to remove it if you can. Once removed, your pet may benefit from a cold compress to help reduce any pain or swelling – this can be something such as a bag of frozen peas or even a cloth soaked in cold water.
If the sting is on or around the face or mouth, or if your pet is showing signs of a more severe allergic reaction, please contact our customer care team immediately for advice. Only give medication if you are instructed to do so.