Blue Green Algae: Reports at Caldecotte Lake
We have been made aware of blue-green algae at Caldecotte Lake from the The Parks Trust. This is likely a result of the hot weather we have already had this year.
It would be sensible to prevent your dog contact with the algal scum at this time.
What is blue-green algae?
Blue-green algae naturally occurs in inland waters and blooms can form when their numbers become excessive. It is these ‘blooms’ that give the water a blue-green appearance or a ‘pea soup’ colour. The behaviour of these algae is erratic and the level of its toxicity can fluctuate; it can appear one day, be dispersed by the wind and, mix and re-accumulate at any time.
How can blue-green algae affect you and your animals?
Blue-green algal blooms can product toxins hazardous to both people and animals. Not all blue-green blooms produce toxins, but it is not possible to tell which are dangerous without testing, and therefore all blooms should be considered potentially toxic. Dogs that enjoy swimming and playing in lakes and ponds may be exposed to blue-green algae.
We would advise owners to be vigilant of the potential symptoms of this toxin. Symptoms of this poisoning may include:
- Blood in stool or black, tarry stool
- Pale mucous membranes
- Excessive secretions (e.g. salivation, lacrimation, etc)
- Neurologic signs (including muscle tremors, muscle rigidity, paralysis, etc)
- Blue discoloration of the skin and mucous membranes
- Difficulty breathing
If contracted, this toxin requires aggressive and immediate treatment to help treat the symptoms. If there are any signs of this illness after contact with potentially contaminated water, please contact your veterinary practice immediately for advice.